GOVERNMENT OF JAMMU AND KASHMIR,
SERVICES SELECTION BOARD,
ZUM ZUM BUILDING RAMBAGH, SRINAGAR.(www.jkssb.nic.in)
Marks:-! 50 TIME:-2:30 HOURS
Syllabus for Written test (Objective Type) for the posts of Geological Assistant Grade-Hand Regional Inspector Grade-ll
- Geomorphology and Engineering Geology (20 Marks)Factors of weathering-mechanical disintegration, chemical decomposition.Earthquakes – terminology, classification, causes and distribution, engineering consideration of seismicity, aseismic design of building structures, earthquake problems in India Various stages of geological investigations for civil engineering projects, preliminary investigation, construction ways and means of investigation, geological surveying, exploratory excavations, trenching, shaft sinking and tunneling, boring, soil mechanics studies, geophysical methods of exploration Geological considerations for the construction of roads lithological characters, geological structures, weathering, ground water considerations.
- Complicated regions for the construction of roads – roads in hilly regions, roads in marshy regions, roads in water logged areas, roads in permafrost regions, geological problems after road construction Geological consideration for the construction of bridges – terminology, stability of bridges, foundation of Bridges
- Mass movements – causes of hill slope instability, monitoring and control of mass movements Landslides – types, creep of debris, bending of beds, sheet slides, earth flows, debris flows, landslides caused by the out washing of sands, landslides in politic rocks, slides of solid rocks, specific types of slope movements i.e. solifluction and sensitive clays.
- Landform evolution by mass movements-process, classification, slope failures, subsidence. Classification of slopes, forms, slope regression, slope maps and slope evolution.
REMOTE SENSING & GROUNDWATER (20 MARKS)
- Indicators for groundwater on remote sensing products and their application examples. Developments of remote sensing, advantages and limitations of remote sensing.Global positioning System (GPS) and its segments, observation principle, parameters effecting the accuracy of result, main components of a GPS receiver and GPS application.Surficial features indicating groundwater on aerial photographs and satellite images. Morphological and spectral characteristics of different rock groups. Hydrolithological, hydrostructural and hydromorphological classes and hydrogeological rating.Evaluation of aquifer parameters using Theim’s,Thies, Cooper-Jacob and Walton methods. Pump tests methods data analysis and interpretation of hydrogeologic boundaries.
- Determination of aquifer parameters – Pump test; Step-draw down test (SDT), formation and well characteristics; Slug test.
- Different drilling methods used in the construction of shallow and deep wells. Various groundwater Structures Different well development and completion methods.
- Surface indicators of groundwater, fracture trace analysis.
- Role of remote sensing in mineral resources exploration. Main types of mineral deposits. Geological guides for prospecting and their manifestation in remote sensing data.
- Introduction and scope of remote sensing in assessment and evaluation of natural resources, Remote sensing in groundwater investigation: factors affecting groundwater occurrence.
STRUCTURAL GEOLOGY AND GEOTECTONICS (20 MARKS)
- Concepts of stress and strain ellipses and ellipsoids.Nomenclature and age relationship of joints and faults and method of identification in the field Rock fabric field relations, planar and linear fabric elements (foliation and lineation) and tectonic significance. Indus-Tsangpo suture zone. Main Central Thrust, Main Boundary Fault, Siwalik structure, Himalayan Frontal Fault, evolution of Himalaya Concept of continental drift, evidences of movement of continents, modern concept of plate tectonics, fitting of continents together, palaeoclimatic units
- Mechanics of folding and buckling. Methods of fold identification in the field.
- Concept of stress and strain, components of stress, state of stress at a point.
PALEONTOLOGY& STRATIGRAPHY (25 MARKS)
- Palaeontological and stratigraphical significance of trace fossils.Cephalic sutures and vision in trilobites. Faunal provinces and stratigraphic use of Trilobites with special reference to J&K State.
- Stratigraphic classification, litho. bio. and chronostratigraphy, code of stratigraphic nomenclature. Stratification, lateral, vertical and thickness variations and facies variations. Unconformities and their Recognition Evolution of Indian shield major Precambrian belts of India and their tectonic setting Precambrian of Tethyan basement-Salkhala, Vaikrita Tectonic history and Palaeozoic life. Of J&K State Geology of Ladakh with special emphasis on Indus Tsangpo Suture belt Study of Tertiary rocks- Siwalik Group,Murree Group and Subathu Group and Sirban Limestone their classification and fauna in with special reference to Jammu and Kashmir State
- Palaeoecological and environmental significance of trace fossils.
- Groups of trace fossils, borings as trace fossils and bioerosion, traces of predation, fossil tracks and impressions of vertebrates.
MINING GEOLOGY (25 MARKS)
- Classification of resources and reserves.Methods of sampling – channel, bulk, grab, chip, car, core and sludge. Trenching and pitting method. Methods of estimation of the reserves for ore deposits Classification of mining methods, introductory geological and economic aspects of mine planning, developmental works for underground mining, mode of entry in mines, drift, crosscuts, winz, raise, ore bin and ore chuites.National Mineral Policy, 2008 Elementary knowledge of the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act 1957
- Methods of breaking and blasting the rocks, types of explosives used, arrangements of drill holes for blasting in surface and underground mines.
- Distribution of economic minerals and their use in Jammu & Kashmir State.
- Geological guides for the prospecting of mineral deposits; mineralogical, lithological and structural guides, gossans and capping Geochemical exploration; mobility and geochemical association of elements, primary and secondary geochemical dispersion patterns.
IGNEOUS PETROLOGY, METAMORPHIC PETROLOGY, SEDIMENTOLOGY (20 MARKS)
- Physical components of carbonate rocks and their origin.Granite in various tectonic environments.Concept of geochemistry, geochemical classification of elements.The process of metasomatism and its types.Characters, types and origin of Migmatites
- The concept and system of metamorphic facies.
- Radiometric dating of single mineral and whole rock by various methods and their limitations Metamorphic differentiation and anatexis in metamorphic rocks and granite magmas.
- Petrogenesis of granites: source materials, sediments and metasediments, basalt or andesites. Ophiolite suite; Andesites and their petrogenesis.
- Classification schemes of igneous rocks, Hierarchy of classification, IUGS classification of plutonic and volcanic rocks.
- Nomenclature and Classification of carbonate rocks Nomenclature and Classification of carbonate rocks Significance of chemically formed sedimentary structures.
ENVIRONMENTAL GEOLOGY (20 MARKS)
- Hydrology and pollution – human use of surface and subsurface water and connected problems of water pollution Environmental impact of mining – hazards of opencast and underground mining Desertification – causes and extant. Signs of desertification in Himalaya. Measures to combat desertification Medical Geology – trace elements and health;